Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Interview : Randy Martin




GR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live.

R: I just moved to Chicago a couple of months ago after wandering around this past year. It's weird paying rent and working a job but damn is it nice to have my own place where I can drop all of my shit in the middle of wherever I want and lay in my own bed without worry about being in someone else's space. I spend a good portion of my time buried in crossword puzzles and games of Scrabble. One of my favorite times of the day is spending hours scanning new rolls of film while searching out/listening to new music... And I could really go for an adventure or two right now.



GR: What is your inspiration behind your work?

R: Documenting the best times of my life.





GR: What cameras do you shoot with?

R: About a year ago my room was covered with a grab bag of 100 + SLRs and point and shoots that I picked up over time. I got rid of every last one when I bought a one way ticket to India in early 2010 except for my Yashica T5 and so far it's done me no wrong. My backup is a bright yellow 80s Canon called the Aqua Snappy.


GR: One thing you could have told yourself 5 years ago, what would it be?

R: Do not move to Chicago in the winter time. Especially not twice in three years.



GR: Favorite band(s) at the moment.

R: Brian Jonestown Massacre, LCD Soundsystem, Maps & Atlases, Kanye West, Smith Westerns, No Age, Deerhunter.





GR: Favorite alcoholic beverage.

R: It's a toss up between white russians and Real Ale's Brewhouse Brown.


GR: Top 3 places to visit in Chicago.

R: Sea wall behind the Shedd Aquarium on a night bike ride to watch the baby Belugas swim around inside. Soul Vegetarian restaurant. My friend Matt's rooftop with a ridiculous view of the skyline on a summer night with beers in hand.



GR: Next place you want to travel.

R: Next ideal trip would be from the north of Columbia down through as much of South America as possible to the southern tip of Chile. Next likely trip will be to SXSW in Austin Texas for amazing music, ideal weather, and countless swimming holes.



GR: Do you have any photography tricks you can share with someone who is just starting out?

R: If you really pay attention to how your equipment reacts in different light it won't matter much what you're shooting with. And stop worrying about how much film costs.


All original images taken from Randy Martin's website.
To view more images click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

THE GIRL.

My photo
i'm a lover undercover.