Monday, July 11, 2011

Interview : Ali Mitton

I'm sure many of you have heard of the brilliant and talented photographer, Ali Mitton. Her work is absolutely inspiring and every photo seems perfect in the most delicate way possible. There is so much beauty and emotion that she captures in her work that makes it an endless stream of wondering. Her work is as inspiring as her motivation to do the thing she loves to do.
Check out my interview with Ali for GOLDREBEL.



GR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live.

AM: I'm currently living on the Gold Coast, soon to relocate. No matter where I'm living, I spend most days wishing I was somewhere else. I'm always craving travel and adventure. i lived in europe for a couple of years but would love to live in south east asia for a while.





GR: Inspiration / influences?

AM: This is a hard one to put into words. Youth is an inspiration to me. And spontaneity. It can sometimes be difficult to shoot spontaneously within the parameters of a carefully organized shoot, but it's totally possible. When I'm shooting I really try to be present, and focus on the experience I am having with my subject - rather than the result. Anything too posed always makes me cringe. Anything organized never turns out as well as when I improvise. My favourite shots are always the ones in between.
I use photography as an escape, and I like to photograph things the way I think they should always be. Free from any contraints, wistful and young, a lovely daydream.







GR: What kind of camera(s) do you shoot with?

AM: I shoot with a 5d and a 7d.


GR: Favorite photographer(s) at the moment.

AM: My favourite photographer is Ryan McGuinley - His work really pulls on my heart strings! And Sally Mann - for the way she captures children in such an honest way.



GR: Night owl or early bird?

AM: Night owl! But i love my sleep ins..



GR: Do you have any tips/tricks to share with someone just starting out in photography?

AM: It took me so long to honestly express myself through photography.
The only thing I can share is - Whatever you create needs to come from within yourself. It's so easy to get caught up trying to do or be like someone else. And comparison is suicide. Whatever you create, make it MEAN something. Forget about being too technical. Create something with feeling. Use your experiences in life, the good and the bad, and everything you are made up of.
Ignore anyone who tells you there is only one way to achieve something. Don't get caught up in industry bullshit - much of it will only limit you.
Use life, behaviors, cultures and beliefs as inspirations to shoot from rather than imagery alone, then your images will become an reflection of you and your unique consciousness.



GR: Next place you would like to travel.

AM: I've got my sights set on India, but I would love to go and photograph some projects in South East Asia.







----------------------
To view more of Ali Mitton's photography
www.mycupoftea.com.au
All original images via website
----------------------

1 comment:

THE GIRL.

My photo
i'm a lover undercover.