Saturday, April 30, 2011

Interview : Lauren Treece

I am always so fascinated at finding out the influence behind an artist's work of art. I have always been a huge fan of Lauren Treece especially when I first saw her polaroids and just grew to admire each and every work. Her photos are incredibly thought out and mind blowing.. I've always questioned to myself, "How does she do that??" Treece shares that most her work are influenced by her dreams and nightmares. It is so genius that you almost wish you could be a part of her fantasy. Check out what Lauren has to say to GOLDREBEL.





GR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live.

L: I am currently working on a traveling medicine show and marionette theater group called Silent Bell Theater. I would love nothing more than to live out the rest of my days traveling around making art and living out of a gypsy caravan, surrounded by good people and good music. I have a passion for finding and exploring abandoned houses nearly as strong as my love of photography and art making.



GR: Inspiration/influences behind your work.

L: I am mostly influenced by dreams and nightmares. When i was younger it was more of a problem that prevented me from sleeping. For a time i needed noise or music in headphones in order to calm myself as i lay in bed. I figured i would try to utilize the dreams by attempting to recreate certain imagery from a particular dream onto film. The end result is never really how it was in my dream but the main features are still present to some degree.

Aside from dreams, I'm really influenced by beauty and ambiguity. Whether it's a unique face or strange and unnatural textures found in wool or tree bark. Anything that plays tricks on the eye or or seems impossible or ethereal appeals to me.





GR: What kind of cameras do you shoot with?

L: I shoot with a FED 2 35mm, a Polaroid SX-70, a Polaroid Spectra.





GR: Favorite band(s) at the moment.

L: I don't have any favorites. I have been listening to Marissa Nadler lately. I enjoy the sound of her voice a lot. Smog and Efterklang are others I've been listening to quite a bit. I enjoy a lot of classics; Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Doc Watson, Billie Holiday, and some old tunes from the 30's and 40's, etc.






GR: Night owl or early bird?

L: I'm definitely a night owl; however, I prefer waking up early when I can train my body to get in that routine.



GR: Do you have any photography tips/tricks for someone who is just starting out?

L: I think natural light, shadows, and vivid and organic color are the three most important things for any photograph. They completely transform a scene into something ethereal and outstanding. I like shooting in early morning light or as the sun is setting; the difference is huge when you take advantage of what nature offers you.



GR: Favorite alcoholic beverage.

L: Old Fashioned; Whiskey, bitters, lime,& ginger ale.





----------------------
To view more of Lauren Treece's work
www.achromatics.com
All original images via Flickr
----------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE GIRL.

My photo
i'm a lover undercover.