Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Interview: Ryan Allan

Ryan Allan might possibly have the raddest job ever.. or at least he makes it seem that way. His work is full of life and so powerful to look at, if you're a cool skateboarder you might have seen his work in magazines like Thrasher or Transworld. He's also worked with companies such as Vans footwear, Element, ESPN, and Converse. Ryan Allan knows his shit. Check out this interview he did for GOLDREBEL.



GR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live.

RA: Well, I'm a photographer specializing in lifestyle and skateboard photography. I grew up in Toronto and now live in San Diego, CA. I've dedicated myself to having fun and making cool shit.


GR: Inspiration behind your work?

RA: I love making things look cool. I see skateboarding as a really artistic, creative endeavor so I try to make my skate photos convey the same. I'm not a fan of just documenting what happened.
I try and do the same in my commercial work. Make things look cool!


GR:What cameras do you shoot with?

RA:I'm all over the place with cameras. Most of the time I use Nikon DSLRs but sometimes I bust out a Contax G1 or a Yashica T4. I try and use the right camera for the shot.




GR: One thing you could have told yourself 5 years ago, what would it be?

RA: I'm always telling myself to push harder, work more. Don't chill so much and I think it's always been my moto to never settle. Keep going!


GR: Favorite band(s) at the moment.
RA: I know they have really been blown out lately but I never seem to skip a Black Keys song when they come on my iPod. Pandora is my best friend. I drive a lot so I get bored of my iPods offerings. So I fire up Pandora and let it surprise me. 90's hip hop is definitely a fav right now.



GR: Next place you want to travel.

RA: Japan for sure. I have been all over but I seem to always miss out on Japan. So many gadgets!


GR: Do you have any photography tricks you can share with someone who is just starting out?

RA: The real trick with photography is not actually a camera trick but the ability to network. Meeting people and hitting it off is way more important than knowing a bunch of camera tricks or Photoshop filters. Getting out there and meeting people is everything.





GR: Night owl or early bird?

RA: Both. I stay up late but my wife gets up early so I do too.
It works well because I am now trained to handle typical photo shoot scenarios. Late nights followed by early call times!



GR: Favorite alcoholic beverage.

RA: I'm a Vodka and Perrier drinker. it's a pain in the ass to order but if you can get it, it's great.
Otherwise I go with Jack.


All original images taken from his website.
To check out more of Ryan Allan's work, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE GIRL.

My photo
i'm a lover undercover.