Monday, April 11, 2011

Interview : GYPSY

It is always such a pleasure to connect with people who have desire and dedication in what they do. I had the lovely opportunity to talk to Kate, designer & owner of the lingerie brand, Gypsy. The line is entirely one of a kind and handmade in Oahu by herself. Gypsy is only a one year old brand but has already released two collections and in the process of coming out with bikinis and much more. After talking to Kate about her process and inspiration for the line, I can't help but want to buy every single undie ( at an awesome price!!) and prance around in my living room. After all, her line is all about romance and being able to feel comfortable, beautiful and sexy in your own skin. See what Kate has to say to GOLDREBEL.



GR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live.

G: I'm a romantic. A daydreamer. Someone who believes in crazy love and happy
endings. I live in Hawaii and love the sunshine in my hair & hearing the
ocean when i fall asleep.



GR: How did you become interested in designing a lingerie line?

G: One of my favorite things to do is drink a big mug of tea or coffee and sit and read on any weekend morning in my teeshirt & undies. I wanted to find the best pair of undies, i was always on the hunt for that different pair. that was cute but not too cheeky, sexy, comfy, revealing but not too revealing, etc. I wanted to take up sewing and decided to start by finding some super unique fabrics that I could make my own custom one-of-a-kind undies just for fun and for myself. for my birthday, a few friends gifted me a sewing machine & I started working right away. I cut apart several pairs i liked and combined the style elements that I liked, to create the right fit for me & what I was looking for. My friends started asking for their own pairs & requesting things so the line grew pretty quickly from there. I now continue to try to design to my own style & what I am looking for that's not out there yet.





GR: Gypsy is available at 4 stores in Hawaii and one in Italy, are you
looking to expand globally?

G: I am so excited for all to come with Gypsy & yes would love to expand globally! Gypsy is less than a year old and has become loved by many so I'm excited to continue the journey. The line is growing and improving along the way and I look forward to expanding into more shops in the U.S and abroad as my line grows. The story of my line has also inspired many women to get in touch & share their inspiring stories and adventures and has allowed me to connect with so many amazing people doing brave things & on similar adventures.


GR: Fav. band(s) at the moment.

G: Cat Power. She gives me goosebumps.





GR: What are some tips you could give to a designer just starting out in
the industry?

G: Follow your heart. Sincerely. Start doing something new or something that you love or something that you are curious about solely for fun. You don't necessarily have to start with the intention of having a business and work out the logistics of how to succeed. You can experience that as you go. I started making undies because I wanted something cute for myself. I had no intention of what would sell & slowly as they became popular I discovered it was that freedom which Gypsy was started with that helped the line blossom into a brand.



GR: Night owl or early bird?

G: I love my sleep. But it's hard to sleep when the sun is beaming through
the windows here at 7 am. So i tend to rise early but i take my time
opening my eyes! I do love to write & draw late at night when there's
silence and stars above.



GR: What can we expect of Gypsy in the future? Any upcoming projects?

G: Gypsy has just begun work on the next collection and there is lots of
sketching, experimenting with patterns and searching for new fabrics
happening....Also, the first bikini is currently in the works as well and
this swim piece will be released in the next month.


----------------------
To shop & check out more from her line click here.
www.madebygypsy.com
All original images photographed by Daeja Fallas for GYPSY.
----------------------

1 comment:

  1. LOVE these photos by Daeja Fallas... makes me want to put on that one bob dylan record and roll around in my Gypsy knickers.

    ReplyDelete

THE GIRL.

My photo
i'm a lover undercover.