Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Interview : Marion Bolognesi

Ever since I laid eyes on these beautiful full of life
speckled splash of watercolor, I simply could not resist.
Admittingly, I tried to copy this same technique for
one of my class assignments yet failed miserably.
There is a reason why Marion Bolognesi,
Brooklyn based designer and painter is famous for
what she does. Trust me when I say, leave it to the master.
Check out this Q&A with Marion herself.


GR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live.

M: I've lived in NYC for the past 8 years. I'm definitely starting to feel like a New Yorker. It's an addiction. Great to break free here and there but it's very easy to become accustomed to the advantages of big city life, especially as an artist. There's inspiration everywhere you turn.

I'm also very lucky to have a great group of friends located primarily in Brooklyn. Some in the arts, some not, all very supportive. That is by far my favorite part of living here.





GR: How would you describe your work to someone.

M: Describing my work is not my favorite. I am much more interested in hearing the observers description.

I am always trying to capture some sort of feeling/ emotion with my work.
Ideally a piece that I create, translates either the feeling or essence of the
subject or my own feelings.

I love watercolor as a medium and its very important to me that my work doesn't
jeopardize the integrity of the that medium. With each piece I try at some point
to relinquish control of the watercolor and let it steer itself. I definitely
feel that my best works are true collaborations between myself and the paint.



GR: Inspiration/influences?

M: Honesty, I'm inspired by everything around me. Fashion, family, friends and other artists. Lately color has been my most sincere form of inspiration. I see a new palette everywhere I look & want to try to recreate it.

GR: Favorite alcoholic beverage.
M: Haha. either the Que Bonita, courtesy of the Narrows BK/ a delicious mix of tequila, cucumber and jalapeno; Or my latest favorite, the Whisky Pickleback at the Anchored Inn in Brooklyn (fresh pickle juice, homemade by Bill).



GR: Top 3 places to visit in Brooklyn.

M: Prospect Park on a sunny saturday off. The Crab Shack AKA Clemente's Maryland Crab House, hopefully followed by a nice ride to Fort Tilden. Brooklyn Flea, just 4 blocks from my house. Really, any part of brooklyn by way of a summertime bicycle ride (can you tell I'm anxious for sunny-time nyc)





GR: Night owl or early bird?

M: I'm definitely way more productive at night. If I had my way, I'd get up early,
take my time getting to work and work until the wee hours.

GR: If you could collaborate with one artist, deceased or living, who would it be?

M: Collaborating is my favorite, so this is a hard one... Right now I'm itching to
do a collabo with either Iain Macarthur or Alexander Farto. Both very much
alive.



All original images via Marion Bolognesi's website.
For more images click here.

1 comment:

Blog Archive

THE GIRL.

My photo
i'm a lover undercover.